Friday, February 18, 2011

When Lanny comes marching home again hurrah, hurrah!!!



So about a month ago I’m talking to my daughter on the phone and she was asking me what my life was like in San Miguel, when I realize that what I’m describing to her is ‘Magical’; I must have sounded very convincing because 24 hrs. later she had made arrangements to put together some free time to come visit me, had found herself an inexpensive flight from Boston to Mexico City, and right now I’m on the bus on my way to DF to pick her up and begin a new adventure with one of the two most important people in my life.

It’s been almost a year since we last hugged each other, the phone is great and we stay in touch daily, but there is no substitute for wrapping your arms around your children.

Yesterday I was shockingly reminded of the frailty of our lives with the untimely and tragic death by a freak accident of a woman still full of life and dreams of the future. She left behind a loving family, and amongst them two daughters, who like my Lanny and I, also happened to be best friends. So how do you cope with the loss of your mother, mostly when it was so totally unexpected?

I recently lost my mother, she was only 77 yrs. old, and just before she died, what she wanted more than anything was to see me happy, Although we had been preparing for that dreadful day for sometime because her body was too ill and she was in constant pain, when that day came. what I grieved about the most was that I couldn’t give her what she wanted, because my load in life at the time was rather heavy.

It’s been almost 3 yrs. since the day I lost her, but she will live in me forever, so I needed to make sure and give her what she wanted, and now that I am in a happy place in my life, and make every moment count, I can celebrate her life instead of mourning her death.

So Lanny and I have fantastic plans for the next two weeks. We will tour DF and various cities nearby, visit ruins, museums, go to the hot springs, get a spa treatment, take long walks with Diego, go horsebackriding, etc. but most of all we will create a stronger bond and lifetime memories. I’ll have to get back into scrapbooking because this trip promises to give us enough material to create a great album.

I can’t wait to hug you my child!

To the whole Barbieri family, my most heartfelt sympathy, that comes from a place of understanding and love. May you all find peace in the wonderful memories of a life well lived, and may you continue to find happiness in your own lives, the best way to honor hers.

I want to take a moment to thank all of you who take time to read my words. I write mostly for myself because its through my writings that I manage to view my life from a distance, but like a friend of mine once told me,


"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? " and nothing makes me happier than to know that I made a difference in someone's life, even those of you I don't know and most likely will never get to meet, you all matter to me, so I cherish your comments.


Thank y'all!




Hugs everyone
@nit@

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola que bueno saber que esta bien y que ilana también
Besos desde playa del Carmen
David

Anonymous said...

Querida amiga:
Espero que la estes pasando excelente en San Miguel un lugar como tu dices magico y precioso! Extrano el sonido de las cientas de Iglesias que resuenan llamando a la gente a misa, las preciosas calles empedradas donde si usas tacones seguro te caes! Ja! Ja! Disfrutalo, como quisiera estar ahi contigo!Un gran beso desde San Diego JA

Anonymous said...

Amiga!! me da mucho gusto que estes tan bien, disfruta a Ilana y saludamela mucho, te mando un beso :) ARE

Anonymous said...

Anita linda,
Me encantó tu blog acerca de tu hija, tienes una linda alma, llena de curiosidad y compasión.
un fuerte abrazo,
Kati

Anonymous said...

Anita
Que maravilloso que puedas estar con tu niña pronto y besarla y acariciarla. Que fragil es la vida, lo siento tanto por esta familia. Por eso cada dia de mi vida doy gracias por lo que tengo y no por lo que no tengo.
Que goces mucho a tu niña.
Saludos Vivian

Anonymous said...

q' padre chula q' padre pa' las 2
Quiq'

Anonymous said...

hi anita
wow – I thought you were living in israel – now mexico – sounds like a wonderful adventure,
all the best,cathy breslaw

Anonymous said...

Espero que lo pasen de lo mejor!

VIVA LA ESPONTANEIDAD

SAMUEL

Anonymous said...

hola Anita

que bueno saber qe estas bien y al parecer las cosas-tu vida se ponen en orden

bueno nena segui adelante
besos, Rahel

Anonymous said...

Hola Anita. Gracias por compartir tus vivencias a través de tu blog. Me encanta leerlo por la pasión que imprimes en todo lo que escribes. Creo que eres un ser privilegiado al lograr poner tus sentiemientos en palabras con tal facilidad. ¡Qué bueno que Ilana tomó la decisión de visitarte! Serán vivencias que les dejarán recuerdos para alimentar sus momentos de ausencia. Disfrútenlos.
Un abrazo, Beatriz.

Anonymous said...

Hi reflecting this blog was very stunning , issues in this way show value whoever reflect this forum:/

Anonymous said...


This is a beautiful photo of both of you. I was happy to read this again. I also wanted to thank you again for mentioning my mother and my family in your beautiful writings. The memories of a lifetime we all shall never forget. Chantel Barbieri