Thursday, July 31, 2008

Age is but a number, and I was never very good at Math!...




Like with everything else in life there are different attitudes regarding age. Take my mother for example (may she rest in peace), bless her heart I believe she was born old, at least I felt that way around her. She had very old fashioned ideas, she never drove or worked, and I can still remember how upset she was when she saw my first boyfriend kissing me. I can recall feeling very self-conscious and embarassed going into my room at my parent's home with my husband on the day we got married to change clothes after the wedding, to go off on our honeymoon.

Then there’s my ex father in law, ‘Poppo’, he always talks about his high school days as a star athlete and the time he spent as a Marine; it seems those were his favorite years since he keeps on referring back to them, and the one thing he keeps on stressing to me is how fast he feels his life is going, since he is still holding on to those years.


To tell you the truth for a long time, it wasn’t that I didn’t believe him, but I just couldn’t relate to what he was saying, I kept on thinking that he should try to live and enjoy the present and stop looking back, and in many ways he is, since to this day, getting closer to his late eighties, he is still handsome, in good health, great spirits, has a good group of friends, he travels, he works-out and looks good, and maybe his re-living those years is what’s kept him feeling and looking younger.

I, on the other hand, live very much in the present, and it was only recently that I started to relate to what ‘Poppo’ has been telling me all these years regarding how fast life goes, since I’ve never really paid too much attention to my age. That was up until about a year ago when I turned 55 and acquired the label of ‘Senior Citizen’. How could this be? I thought to myself, wasn’t I just 20 yesterday? Who’s that older lady in the mirror looking back at me? I don’t feel any different; I haven’t stopped wanting, needing, feeling, caring, hurting, enjoying, and most of all dreaming!


At that point I realized that I could either become like my mom, or start thinking about the good old days like ‘Poppo’ or simply realize that “Age is but a number, and I was never very good at Math!” ~ @nit@
Hugs xoxo
Anita

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear anita: ENJOYED YOUR STORY. BY THE WAY YOUR DAUGHTER IS BEAUTIFUL. LET'S FACE IT SWEETHEART. A PERSONS LIFE IS FILLED WITH DIFFERENT CHAPTERS. STARTING FROM INFANCY,THEN A YOUNGSTER, TEEN AGER YOUNG ADULT. MIDDLE AGED, OLDER AGE. SENIOR CITZEN THEN "ADIOS MOTHER" EVERY CHAPTER IS HUNDREDS OF PAGES LONG. EACH WITH IT'S OWN STORY. LIFE SLIPS BY LIKE SAND THRU A TIN HORN. IF YOU LIVE LONG ENOUGH ALL YOU HAVE IS YOUR HAPPY MEMORIES, THERE'S A PRICE FOR THAT. YOU MOURN THE LOSS OF RELATIVES AND FRIENDS. THE BAGGAGE GETS HEAVIER AS YOU GET OLDER. HEALTH PROBLEMS (YOU CAN'T DUCK THAT) MONEY PROBLEMS (IF YOU WEREN'T WISE WHEN YOU WERE ABLE TO PROTECT YOURSELF) LONELINESS UNCERTAINTIES. CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE STYLE(ALWAYS) I LEARNED, MAYBE TOO LATE, DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THE BACK BURNER, BECAUSE TOMORROW IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER. ANITA I LOVE YOUR STORIES. EVRY THING YOU SAY HAS MERIT. ANITA IN CLOSING " LIFE IS NOT A WALK IN THE PARK. I WALKED IN THE PARK AND I GOT MUGGED. STAY WELL LOVE YOU. KEEP IN TOUCH. POPPO

Anonymous said...

DEAREST ANITA: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SENDING ME THAT VERY BITTER SWEET STORY YOU WROTE ABOUT AGING. SWEETHEART YOU ARE A MILLION MILES AWAY FROM BE ING "OLD" . YOU ARE TO ACTIVE, TO INVOVED AND STILL WALKING ON THE TREADMILL (SO TO SPEAK) AT HIGH SPEED. YES A LIFE SPAN IS LIKE A BLINK OF THE EYE. WHEN YOUR YOUNGER THE SUMMERS THE WINTERS THE DAYS IN SCHOOL NEVER END. IT SEEMS LIKE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE YOU WILL ALWAYS BE WITH MOM AND DAD AND SIBS. NOT TRUE.YESTERDAY I WAS 16 YEARS OLD AND NOW I'N CLOSER TO 90 THAN I AM TO 80. AS A MATTER OF FACT AS YOU GET OLDER YOUR CONVERSATION WITH YOUR FRIENDS CHANGES WITH THE YEARS. I CAN REMEMBER TALKING TO MY FRIENDS ABOUT SPORTS AND BROADS". THEN YOU START TALKING ABOUT YOUR BEAUTIFUL WIFE AND CHILDREN, THEN YOU TALK ABOUT YOUR WONDERFUL GRANDCHILDREN THEN YOU START TALKING ABOUT THE WONDERFUL DOCTOR YOU GOING TO, THE MEDICINE YOUR TAKING THE CHAPELS YOU GOING TO TO PAY YOUR RESPECT TO SOME OF THE GUYS YOU ONCE TALKED ABOUT SPORTS AND "BROADS" . SO IN CLOSING SWEET DAUGHTER INLAW TAKE CARE DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THE BACK BURNER BECUASE LIKE ALL OF US YOU WILL SAY "WHERE DID THOSE DAYS GO? ZEL SENDS HER LOVE POPPO